Hikes & Tours
The following hiking trails are in the Stilbaai area:
• WEST RIVER BANK HIKING TRAIL: This trail follows the western shore of the Goukou River between the jetty/ launching area and the harbour, including the stream from the Information centre. The trail can be started from the Info centre, the harbour or the jetty. This route is paved most of the way and is fairly level. Bird watching and nature can be enjoyed along this scenic route. Approximately 2km each way.
• SKULPIESBAAI NATURE RESERVE: These hiking trails criss-cross the entire nature reserve and can be started from the whale watching point near the harbour as well as the parking areas at Morris Point and at the parking area near the fish traps. These trails follow the contours of the dunes and require a reasonable amount of fitness. One of the highlights of the walk is the amazing milk wood tree forests. Birds, and if you are lucky bushbuck, grysbok, otters and mongoose can be spotted along these routes. Take own water and snacks. Between 2 and 6 km. Wear walking shoes and hats.
• SOUTHERN RIGHT TRAIL: This is a coastal trail between Stilbaai and Jongensfontein, starting from Morris Point and ending up at the caravan park in Jongensfontein. Care must be taken to walk this trail at low tide as it can become dangerous with higher tides. Beautiful rock pools, fynbos, birds and small animals can be enjoyed. For the season swimmer there are beautiful rock pools to swim in on the way. Take own water and snacks, sun block, camera and wear hiking shoes and hat. Approximately 11km. It is suggested that you leave a car at the finishing end for your return.
• PAULINE BOHNEN NATURE RESERVE: This is a large reserve and has several trails on it. Birding, flowers, scenery and wild life can be enjoyed on these walks. Don’t forget to take along your camera, water bottle and snacks. Most of the trails are on fairly level ground, those nearer the river are steeper, good walking shoes required. There are beehives in the reserve and care must be taken to avoid annoying the bees. There are trails of various lengths, anything from 1 hour to the whole day. Hat and sun block recommended.
• GEELKRANS NATURE RESERVE: Self issue permits are available at the gate. The trail goes in a loop towards the east and returns via the coast. This trail can be fairly challenging, and is not very well marked. Take along water, snacks, binoculars and camera and wear hiking shoes, hat and sun block. Approximately 3 hours.
• KLIPFONTEIN NATURE RESERVE: This is a private nature reserve and is situated about 20km up the Goukou River. For further details contact Dr Janet Naude at 072 448 0604.
Where applicable, regulations are posted at entrance points. General rules regarding nature conservation and consideration for fellow hikers are valid for all routes.
Make Stilbaai your final destination in the Garden Route. Get to know the region by going on daytrips and returing to the quiet, safe and peaceful atmosphere of Stilbaai.
• Oudtshoorn via Riversdale, Garcia pass and Ladysmith. Visit the Cango Caves, ostrich farms, Meiringspoort or Swartberg pass. Come back via Robinsons Pass and Mossel Bay.
• Visit the Aloe factory in Albertinia. Watch, or experience, bungi jumping at the Gouritz River bridge. Explore Mossel Bay's historical tourist attractions such as the Maritime Museum, The Old Post Tree and many others.
• The Railway Museum in George.
• Visit Botlierskop, a game farm near Great Brak River which is fast receiving international recognition. Home to the big five.
• Witsand via Blombos and Vermaaklikheid where beautifully renovated cottages can be seen. Cross the Breede River at Malgas with the famous pontoon ferry - the only operational one of its kind in South Africa.
• Eden Country Area includes Albertinia, Riversdale, Heidelberg and Witsand. This area includes many activities, such as guided tours to various fynbos export farms, while scenic areas such as the Korente/Vette River Dam offer peace and tranquility. Grootvadersbosch, belonging to Cape Nature, a beautiful indiginous forest just outside Heidelberg is also included.
• The wine-routes of Robertson, Montagu or Oudtshoorn and surrounding areas.
• The beautiful area of Montagu and the invigorating spas
• Explore Agulhas, the southern-most point of Africa. Go to the historical towns of Swellendam and Bredasdorp. In Bredasdorp visit a candle factory, a factory which dries and exports indigenous flowers and a Ceramics factory.