PALINGGAT HOMESTEAD (Touism Bureau)
The house was first built in 1809 and then burnt down. In 1814 Andries J de Jager rebuilt the imposing residence, and put his initials and date in the mortar above the front door. In 1992 the Stilbaai Information Centre was established on the premises.
The sandstone walls are 70cm thick and the ceilings are 30cm wide yellow-wood boards. The property remained in the posession of the de Jagers for many generations. In 1989 the Municipality acquired the property and in 1992 the Still Bay Information Centre was established on the premises.
The legendary eels of Palinggat were nurtured by generations of de Jagers and the tradition has been continued by the personnel of the Information Centre. The feeding of the tame eels can be viewed at the Tourism office daily at 11h00.
Contact: Hannetjie Ferguson
Tel: 028 754 2602