Built in 1928 by the Dutch Reformed Church of Riversdale, the Klipkerk was the first permanent place of worship .
By the 1940s the building showed signs of serious decay, with the roof rotting and damp setting in.
Repairs were done and the thatch was replaced by an asbestos roof. In 1956 the outside walls were plastered. Complete restoration was undertaken in 1989.