Langenhoven Street, Stilbaai, South Africa
+27 (0)28 754 2602 stilbaaiinfo@easycoms.co.za

Heritage trips

ANCIENT FISH TRAPS

Most of the fish traps are shaped in a half moon and vary in size. Early cage dwellers notice that fish got caught in the natural tidal pools as the tide receded. The seaward side slopes gently to make it easy for the fish to swim into the trap. The internal face is vertical and clear of debris and sift, so the "vywers" can be drained quickly and trap the fish as the tide recedes.

Contact: Stilbaai Tourism Bureau
Tel: 028 754 2602
DE BRAK FARMHOUSE

Built in the 1920s, the large De Brak farmhouse lent itself to restoration by Julian and Marge Wayne. Few changes were made on the ground floor but the large loft was altered to provide eight en suite bedrooms. De Brak Farmhouse now houses the River Lodge bed & breakfast.

Contact: Alicia van Rensburg
Tel: 028 754 1317
Mobile: 078 352 5167

Address:
Main Road East
6674
STILBAAI
JAGERSBOSCH HOMESTEAD

The Jagersbosch homestead was built in the 1860's, by Matthys de Jager, and occupied by his son until his death in the 1930's. Left unoccupied for three decades, the house and outbuildings deteriorated.

The homestead which houses the offices of the Stilbaai Community Care Centre, was opened in November 1990. In September 1991 the building was declared a National Monument.

Contact: Petra Daneel
Tel: 028 754 1934

Address:
Main Road West
6674
STILBAAI
JAGERSBOSCH HOMESTEAD

The Jagersbosch homestead was built in the 1860's, by Matthys de Jager, and occupied by his son until his death in the 1930's. Left unoccupied for three decades, the house and outbuildings deteriorated.

The homestead which houses the offices of the Stilbaai Community Care Centre, was opened in November 1990. In September 1991 the building was declared a National Monument.

Contact: Petra Daneel
Tel: 028 754 1934

Address:
Main Road West
6674
STILBAAI
PALINGGAT HOMESTEAD (Touism Bureau)

The house was first built in 1809 and then burnt down. In 1814 Andries J de Jager rebuilt the imposing residence, and put his initials and date in the mortar above the front door. In 1992 the Stilbaai Information Centre was established on the premises.

The sandstone walls are 70cm thick and the ceilings are 30cm wide yellow-wood boards. The property remained in the possession of the de Jagers for many generations. In 1989 the Municipality acquired the property and in 1992 the Still Bay Information Centre was established on the premises.

The legendary eels of Palinggat were nurtured by generations of de Jagers and the tradition has been continued by the personnel of the Information Centre. The feeding of the tame eels can be viewed at the Tourism office daily at 11h00.

Contact: Stilbaai Toerisme
Tel: 028 754 2602
Email: Email Label

Address:
Langenhoven street
6674
STILBAAI
THE KLIPKERK

Built in 1928 by the Dutch Reformed Church of Riversdale, the Klipkerk was the first permanent place of worship .

By the 1940s the building showed signs of serious decay, with the roof rotting and damp setting in.

Repairs were done and the thatch was replaced by an asbestos roof. In 1956 the outside walls were plastered. Complete restoration was undertaken in 1989.

Contact Details: