Archaeological evidence shows that humans have used this area on and off for some seven thousand years. The earliest inhabitants were hunter-gatherers and then, some two thousand years ago, domesticated cattle were introduced and the people became pastoralists.
A Dutch expedition prior to 1713 reported on the existence of a spring here and the presence of numbers of Khoi people to whom they referred as “zwarte jongens” (black youths). In 1713 a smallpox epidemic caused great depopulation among the Khoi.
The earliest mention of Jongensfontein in recorded history is a land deed in 1762 referring to the farm “Swarte Jongens Fonteyn”. Many stories have circulated as to why it should be “black” but the expedition already mentioned provides a good explanation. Later, Zwarte Jongensfontein also became known as Groote Jongensfontein
The trough in “die Suiping As the name implies, there is a spring a few hundred yards from the beach and such watering places were very important for people and their cattle. In 1762 Governor Ryk Tulbach granted permission to Michiel Muller to utilise the farm Zwarte Jongensfontein for grazing.In 1855 the farm became an “erfpagplaas” (perpetual quitrent farm) and “erfpag” was granted to 7 persons who used this farm for grazing and watering livestock, in the area which now includes the caravan park. This area was known as “Die Suiping”. A common trough provided the animals with water from the perennial spring. In 1916 a subdivision of the farm took place and 31 persons received property rights. Since 1920 some servitude holders started to build small mud and reed houses which were sometimes leased to other persons as holiday accommodation – the start of Jongensfontein as a holiday location.Jongensfontein as well as Stilbaai West could only be reached via a ferry which started to operate in 1932 over the Kaffirkuils River (Now called the Gouka River) and it is a prominent part of the town’s history. During its last holiday season 1951 the ferry transported 3 000 vehicles over the river.